Monday, July 25, 2011

Dear Nicaragua,

I love being with you. You make me feel warm and fuzzy inside. You're beautiful and nice. There are so many interesting and attractive qualities about you. I love each and every moment I share with you. From the very first moment I laid eyes on you I knew we were destined to be together someday. In fact, I think I might want to spend a good portion of the rest of my life with you…but here's the thing…every time I leave you, bad things happen to me. 

Last time I left you I was torn up. I cried and thought of you longingly. Then I had to spend the night on a hard floor in the Atlanta airport cold, hungry, devastated, and alone. I "woke up" (I never really slept) to find my gate assignment had changed and I forgot Atlanta is an hour ahead of Springfield and ran crying through the airport to arrive right as they were getting ready to close the gate for my flight. This time, I had the scariest plane experience of my life. 

Our plane was over the Gulf of Mexico when we hit some turbulence. I have flown quite a few times in my life, so I wasn't bothered by it until we started abruptly falling good distances through the air (the kind where you're rear end isn't actually in contact with your seat anymore) while shaking pretty violently until we jerked back into a normal flying position. This happened several times, but the real kicker was when it felt like an engine failed or part of the wing broke off the left side and the plane twisted hard to the right throwing all loose objects (including people) across the cabin. Of course this was the one time I had decided to get V8 instead of my usual water. My V8 along with my neighbor's coke ended up all over my lap and bag. People were screaming and crying hysterically. I reacted in my usual normal manner by laughing…uncontrollably. I was doing the hardcore ugly laugh. I'm sure everyone around me was seriously questioning my sanity. After getting the terrorizing flashbacks of LOST out of my head, our plane landed and sat on the tarmac for an hour. Now, I am gate hopping trying to follow my flight changes with a beautiful brownish-red stain on my pants....

Nicaragua, please realize I'm not leaving you for good, I just have other things I have to do before I can make the sort of commitment you deserve. No matter how many rivers, mountains, volcanoes, and countries separate us, nothing will stop me from returning to you. I just hope next time I don't have to suffer more than just the feeling of loss I get from our separation.


Thinking of you always,

Me

No comments:

Post a Comment