Thursday, July 14, 2011

Los Gusanos

Nicaragua has taught me a lot of things, but more than anything this time Nicaragua has taught me how to laugh. I have not laughed this hard so many days in a row since I was a child. This week I have laughed so hard I have cried multiple times. These people laugh at everything. They're such happy people.

Today, Luis and I went to Comedor Leti in Ojo de Agua. We both ordered fried chicken with plantain chips. I was talking to Luis about the health codes in the US and how a restaurant like that one would not fly in the States because it is someone's house with a dirt floor. That's when Leti came out with our food. It smelled great and I was starving, so I dug in. I ate a few big bites before I saw the meat moving….I took a closer look and there were maggots crawling all over my food….the food I had just ingested. 

It took everything I had to not vomit all over the place. I had just eaten maggots. I felt like they were stuck in my teeth, crawling down my throat, and writhing in my stomach. Leti brought me a new plate of food, but I had definitely lost my appetite.
                                                                                                                                                      
Luis and I just kept laughing in disbelief at what had just happened. On our way back to Las Pilas he made up a song that went "I will neber forget what happen today. I will neber go back to eat the food of Leti again." This made us laugh even harder. That's when Luis said that all you can do is laugh. When life is hard or difficult situations arise, there is nothing to do but laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment