Thursday, July 7, 2011

Las Pilas

Today I went to a community called Las Pilas. Rainbow Network was holding another medical clinic and had invited another organization, FamiSalud, to join them in a health day for the community. The day consisted of games, dancing, and activities about eating healthy and washing your hands. It was a great day, but I have to say at one point I was a little uncomfortable watching pre-pubecent children get freaky on the dance floor. I was partially uncomfortable because their moves were a bit obscene, but also because these kids were less than half my age and I couldn't execute those moves if I tried. 

Las Pilas is the current home of Nicole, a girl from the Peace Corps. I had a fantastic time talking to her about her time in Nicaragua and her philosophy on life. I find it very easy to get along with most people I meet in Central America from the United States. For one, I can express myself to the fullest because we can talk in English. I can also usually relate to them because we tend to have similar passions and ideas about the world. That was more true this time than it has been before. Nicole has spent the past two and a half years in Nicaragua and never wants to leave, but she is going to go back to the States in December and start a Masters in Social Work in the fall…which is exactly what I want to do. We spent hours today just talking about life. Here and in the US. 

The last of my time in Las Pilas I spent with adults from the community. Many people believe that individuals and communities in developing nations live in ignorant poverty, but that is not the case. This group of adults were fully aware of their problems and what causes those problems. The difficulty is that they don't have the means to create change.

Another challenge is that you cannot fundamentally change a culture, and many of the obstacles the community faces are brought on by habits of culture. For example, the people in Nicaragua used to eat food wrapped in banana leaves. After eating the food they threw the leaves on the ground. When packaged food entered their lives they ate the food and threw the wrapper on the ground, just like the banana leaf wrapper. There is not an abundant source of information on littering and becoming eco-friendly, so it continues to be a problem. In Las Pilas they are taking initiative to encourage people to put their trash in a trash receptacle,   so today they had cardboard boxes out for trash. It was a valiant effort, but soon the dogs and chickens were knocking the boxes over and pulling the trash out.



I am being beckoned by my friends (all under the age of 15....) Play time!

No comments:

Post a Comment