Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A Philanthropic Seed

I read an article for one of my nonprofit classes called "On the Modern Meaning of Philanthropy." In reading this article I learned that the word philanthrĂ´pĂ­a was first translated into English as a term describing plants "whose seeds stick rather too readily to people." Throughout the next few centuries the definition evolved, and in the 17th century was described as the moral obligation of benevolence toward all of mankind and "the whole human family." Some of the more recent definitions are the "voluntary giving of time and money aimed (however imperfectly) toward the needs of charity." This last definition of philanthropy goes on to explain that an individual is considered a philanthropist even if they only express intent to donate to a charitable cause.

That boring explanation leads me to the point I want to make. As humankind, we have moved from feeling morally obligated to show compassion to our fellow humans, to being considered philanthropic just by expressing an intent at compassion….what the what?

This summer I had to go the the DMV to replace my lost drivers license. When my number was called, I approached the counter. As the grumpy employee asked me the routine questions about the information on my profile, he clicked the answer he expected me to say before I verbally confirmed his assumptions. After asking about my address, height, and weight, the man asked me if I wanted to be an organ donor. His arrow clicked "no" before all of the words were even out of his mouth. I stared at him as I firmly replied, "Yes, actually, I would like to be an organ donor."

I'm guessing his automatic assumption was based on thousands of Missouri drivers that had sat in that chair before me, and without thinking had decided that after their death no one would have the opportunity to benefit from their organs for which they would no longer have a need.

This infuriated me. When did such selfishness in our society become, not only accepted, but expected? When did we forget that we are, in fact, a member of a community called humanity...or any community for that matter? When did we begin praising people for intending to do good rather than feeling compelled by a moral obligation of unselfish compassion towards others?

My friend, Daniel, said that one of the greatest illnesses of mankind is our modern individualistic mindset. I believe he hit the nail right on the head. In the western hemisphere we have this idea that is perpetuated by our culture of living for, and only for, our own interests. We are so engrossed in our own media and entertainment induced comas that we don't have the time nor the desire to give a shit. Not only that, but all too often it is seen as an inconvenience when anyone asks you do something for someone else without receiving anything in return.


Don't get me wrong, I am definitely guilty of acting this way…but wouldn't it be cool if we all tried to show some compassion?If we were all like plants whose seeds stuck to the people around us and infected our world with a love for the people around us? I think that would be pretty sweet.




*Artwork by the other benefactor of my parents' benevolence and hard-earned money...my sister, Carsen.

No comments:

Post a Comment