Tuesday, July 5, 2011

La Palma

I don't know what it is about Central America that gives me a complete sense of calm. Maybe its the beautiful people. Maybe its the beautiful country. Maybe its the lack of a stressful lifestyle. I don't know, but I'm not complaining.

I flew into Managua and was met by Jessinia, a woman who works in La Paz Centro which is one of Rainbow Networks offices. She brought me to Nagarote where I will be staying for two weeks in a great hostel. 

This morning Jessinia picked me up and we went to a community called La Palma. We spent all day there holding a medical clinic, passing out micro loans, and talking with the school children.
The medical clinic was stationed in a sparse community center where families gathered to meet with the doctor and get their medicine. During this time I sat on the porch with the women of the community and asked them about their lives and needs as we all sat fanning away the gnats.

I then walked next door to the school to talk to the children and teachers about the materials they need in order to provide a good education. The first thing they told me was more teachers. Each teacher in La Palma is responsible for multiple grades. Because of this, the students don't always get the attention they need. Jessinia and the mothers told me that the lack of attention and supplies sometimes means that the kids don't learn necessary cognitive skills, how to read, or how to write. In addition to this, school supplies here are almost as expensive here as they are in the states so most of what they have is donated. They gave me an unending list of materials they need for school. Hopefully I can take this list back to the states and help them get the supplies they need.

Afterward I walked around the community and saw an old woman grab a chicken by the neck and swing it around her head like a lasso until it's neck broke. Then, she watched it die, grabbed it by the wing, and took it inside to prepare it for dinner. I also met a young man, Rafael, who was born with a mental disability. He laughed and clapped his hands a lot, then he looked at me, said "bonita" and held my hand as we walked together until I had to go to the bathroom. The bathroom was outdoors and had a few patterned bricks with holes in them. As I did my business, Rafael popped his head up in front of the open bricks and laughed really loud. I was so startled I nearly fell in the hole.

The last part of the day in La Palma we handed out money to the individuals who receive micro loans. As they were handed their envelopes they had to introduce themselves, state how they are using the money, and make a promise that they will repay the loan. The recipients of the micro loans work in solidarity to ensure all of the loans are repaid on time.

Yet again I am amazed and in awe of the people in Nicaragua. I can't wait to see what is in        store tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. Cassidy, I love you, I love your compassion, I love your willingness to bring joy (even if It's just to bring laughter to anothers voice), I love that you love what you do for others who so desperately need just a gentle touch, a kind word spoken, a hand held or a simple embrace. I love you, niece. Keep spreading the love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you familiar with the Singer Solution to World Poverty? It would be interesting to discuss it with you when my team gets back on Friday.

    http://www.nytimes.com/library/magazine/home/19990905mag-poverty-singer.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I meant to post that last comment on your post about reality checks. On this post, I wanted to ask if you took all the pictures. That first picture, with the boy leaning against the wall and the dog in the room, is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will check it out, and nearly all of the pictures on my blog are either ones that I took or that my sister painted. I really liked that picture as well...i just got lucky with that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to swing a chicken around by the neck, now :) Great posts

    ReplyDelete