Wednesday, July 6, 2011

La excursión


There are many things that I have missed about life in Central America that I didn't realize I missed. I have missed the chirping geckos, the street noises, the friendly greetings, the atmosphere, but most of all I have missed the multiple reality checks I receive each day. 

Today I went on a field trip to Managua with a group of students in secondary school. We went to el palacio national de la cultura, la plaza de la revolutión, el lago de managua, and el parque tiscapa. I had visited most of these places when I was here last, but this time was different. There were a total of 190 students with us from various communities. Most of these students had never been to the city and their eyes were as big as saucers the entire time we were there. Their appreciation of the trip was pretty amazing.

My travel buddies were a mother, Natividad, and her 15-month-old daughter, Karin. Karin was the sweetest little thing I've ever seen. I spent most of the trip with them and on the way home on the bus Natividad was very tired, so I cradled the sleeping Karin all the way to La Paz Centro. There, we switched vehicles and drove a group, including Natividad and Karin, to their homes in Rincón de los bueyes.

During my travels in Central America I have seen a lot of poverty, but this community broke my heart. The dirt road had eroded so much that we could barely drive on it, and actually had to stop at one point and let some people walk the rest of the way home because the road was not in any condition for a car to drive over. The houses in this community were small, most threatening to collapse, and most of the families were quite large. There were also very few trees. The trees they do have are a type called jícaro. They are very short and do not provide much relief from the scorching sun. The children in this community have to walk a long way to school in the heat and on the rough roads in shoes that are less than sufficient.

It is at times like these that I think about my three story, air-conditioned house full of stuff and is surrounded by large maple trees, my air-conditioned car that I use to get around, and the countless other conveniences to which I have access. When I think about all I have I wonder why I don't do more for people like Natividad and why this is what it takes to make me realize that.

No comments:

Post a Comment