Monday, August 30, 2010

Vida

I have realized how ridiculous my addiction to technology is. I don't have internet at my house, so when I have down time I don't know what to do. It's pathetic. Last night I was making this realization and began writing blog ideas, editing pictures, and looking through every program on my computer because I didn't know what to do without the internet. It was then that I rediscovered things like studying, reading books, and just doing nothing. It was weird, but I liked it. It did suck a little to be in a foreign country living with a family that doesn't know you or your language an you have no way of communicating with anyone you know.

I had my first homesick moment last night because I didn't know if I was going to get dinner. After our trek up the hill/mountain (cerro) I was very hungry and very tired. Margarita told me that dinner would be at 7 or 8…at 8:30 I was still waiting for her to begin preparing dinner. I am in a separate area from the house, like a guest house, and I don't know the culture, so I didn't know if it was cool for me to just bust in the house and yell for my host mom. I didn't have much to do in my room, so I just thought about meals with my family and looked at pictures. It was kind of horrible. However, Margarita came pitter pattering down the hall yelling, "Catie?"…they all call me that now…she apologized for being late and sat and talked with me about being homesick for a little bit, then we went into the kitchen. I sat at the bar while she made dinner and talked really fast about things I could barely understand. Then my host mother and father came downstairs and we had a small dinner together in the kitchen (very much like at my home in the states). My host dad is learning English, so we made a pact to help each other on learning the other language. Over dinner my mom, dad, and Margarita discussed my decision not to eat animals that dream…try explaining that you don't like eating animals that work on a higher level of consciousness in Spanish…its hard. 

We decided to agree to disagree on the animal consumption topic and I began telling my dad, Jorge, about my family. After I was done, my new mommy and daddy told me that now I have 4 parents, 2 brothers, 2 sisters, and Margarita. It made me very happy. My mom wants me to have my friends over to study because they really are possibly the most wealthy family in the area and I think she wants to show off the house.

Homesickness? Defeated. 

This morning I told Margarita that I was nervous for my first day of language school, so she prayed for me. It was so sweet and I guess it worked because my first day of class was great! My teacher, Doris, is perfect for me. She is kind of like a mix of my Crazy Aunt Susie and someone else really cool and down to earth. I have realized how much I still have to learn in Spanish, but I am dedicated to studying very hard. I have to write two compositions this week, complete an oral presentation, and take a small exam…good luck, Cassidy. 

Time to study and maybe some soccer.

No comments:

Post a Comment