Monday, August 23, 2010

Guatemala City

Leaving this morning before the sun rose was not fun…but it has been totally worth it. 

It does not seem like this morning that my parents and my sister reenacted the Beverly Hillbillies as I walked through security at the Springfield airport. Every time I looked back at them over the course of five minutes they would begin waving furiously. I pretended to be all cool…even flashed a peace sign, but quickly afterward was crying silently in the bathroom. It had begun to hit me that this was for real. I really will not be home for four months. I like to pretend that it's nothing and will go by quickly, but that's longer than my whole summer…and I don't even remember school.

As I boarded the plane, I took my last gulp of Missouri's delicious humidity and when we took off I covered my face as I looked out the window and mouthed, "goodbye everybody." It was really dramatic.

We arrived in Atlanta shortly after taking off and I ran to my next terminal where I immediately boarded. I was joined on this flight by Natalie, a girl in my program. Our flight took no time at all and the next thing I knew, we were in Guatemala City.

When I peeked out the window and looked over the mountain ridges and unique terrain it finally hit me…I'm going to live in foreign countries for four months…how freaking cool is that? I couldn't help but let a huge grin take over my face.

There were very obvious differences in this country right off the bat. Well, actually, one of the first buildings I saw was a salmon colored version of the Hammon's Tower…seriously. The airport was tucked in among small rusted buildings and hangers with broken down planes. The security at this airport would make security personnel in the US freak out.


Natalie and I made it through the airport, grabbed our luggage, and met up with our instructor, Joe, along with two other program participants. The ride in a VW bus through the streets of Guatemala City was insane. I had a few rear-clinching moments as our driver flew through the tiny streets. We ended safely at La Casa de San Jose, the house where we will be staying tonight. I've already taken pictures of it. Coolest house ever.


Game Plan:
Today we rest and hang out.
Tonight we stay in Guatemala City.
Tomorrow we tour the city a bit, have some orientation time, and travel to Antigua.
Tomorrow night we stay in Antigua.
The following day we travel to Quetzaltenango where we will spend several weeks with our host families.
This week is all orientation. We don't move in with our families until Sunday and no school until Monday.

Man. Time for another nap on this lazy day in my beautiful room with my new friends…I'm so happy!

2 comments:

  1. You know what's beautiful? You. That's what. The end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Moly! I cannot believe this! This is inspiring, Cassidy. I look forward to reading about your endeavors!

    ReplyDelete